What will you do after college?


It’s the same as asking “What have you done in your life?” People have been asking that question more frequently lately as graduation day approaches. I simply shoot back a reference to finishing my undergraduate thesis first before answering their question. It’s a generic retort, one that is said with heavy eye bags and an empty stomach from breakfast. To answer that question, I would have to take a trip down memory lane. It'll also be a way for me to contemplate my own impending progression towards the working group.


During freshman year, I could recall the vigor I had in exploring the college library and attending classes of UP professors. It was like being in nirvana after high school. I remember the quintessential weird professor who had a lisp but brilliantly crafted an exam which required one to relate philosophers and their philosophy to the solar system. In a day, I would be in and out of classrooms at such long intervals and be with different people for each class. It was also the great era of discovering the jungle-like parties at what people dubbed as the “party capital of the UP system”. I was filled with this energy and channelled it to joining a debate organization.

Debaters also know how to "party"

UPV Miagao Debate Society
Awesome UP professor
The following year I was building momentum because I told myself that perhaps a public service path awaited me so I ran for batch representative. I loved it! I loved the pressure of balancing rep duties and academic requirements. It was exhilarating, but it wasn’t always fun. We lost track of our accounts from sportsfest fees and we may have had batch conflicts too. Nonetheless, I wanted these types of challenges. The only way, they said, to pursue this was to step up and run for governor. I didn’t run. I went on to lead our debate society which opened doors for me to go to different places.

I headed this organizing team for an interhigh school layout competition

Not exactly in high definition, but high in batch dedication
My junior year was my most travelled year. It wasn’t simply because of joining debate competitions but quite frankly also because of diving into uncharted waters. I flew to and from Manila that time, tasted Pili nuts from Camarines Sur, lived inside Camp Aguinaldo, attended a simulated Senate session, met constitutioner Christian Monsod and conducted voters’ education in various barangays. I can vaguely remember organizing an after-party, getting reprimanded by a school administrator, getting away from the reprimand through a get-away vehicle, heading to the airport to be in the Senate – all in one night. Let me also mention that UPV Miagao is a strategic location for your itchy feet because you and your friends may decide one night to explore its forest. In fact, you may also consider scaling one random mountain in San Joaquin, Iloilo right in the middle of finals week.

Stayed at Ateneo de Manila University!
Debaters at the Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City for the Philippine Collegiate Peace Debates

This senior year, I may have reverted to the bum lifestyle despite continuing to debate and acting at a play. Yes, I jumped into theatre this late but I really wanted to experience acting legitimately (hello and thank you, Mr. Erick Aguilar!). It was very interesting, actualizing a personality far from your own. For those who can relate to this feeling, it’s amazing how evoking “kilig” from your audience works. It’s truly an art and a celebration, in a way, of real affection. Now let’s talk academically, I will not be snagging the honors title during graduation. There’s the rub.

Acting for Requiem
It’s like a scratching record played in this article. I don’t mind. I enjoyed college, even beyond the classroom. I may have lost a few hard-held principles made prior to it, but I have also gained precious lessons, nuggets of wisdom and priceless experiences from the people I was with, places I’ve been to and the choices I made. College doesn’t end at graduation, it simply opens more opportunities. Where am I really going? I am anxiously (in both senses of the word) discovering where.  









0 comments:

Post a Comment