Sunday's Best: Pinalabtugan nga Manok of Igbaras

Photo credits: makeameme.org

Usually, a Sunday is supposed to be the most relaxing day in the week. Well, that’s after partying on a Saturday night that you get to babysit your hangover or have time to hear mass and ask forgiveness for the daily sins (yes, daily, don’t recap) made for the past week (but automatically renew them right after the mass itself. Ooops!). Maybe catch up some ZzzZs after a hella busy week or just be (hashtag) teambahay for the day. But for your not so average Viva El Mama (and all the other crammers out there), it’s time procrastinate over thingS due – emphasis on S because there are sure a lot – either on Monday or just for late submission compliance (I know you too well, don’t I?)

Photo credits: pixshark.com

However, because as the good old cliché says it – Change is the only constant thing in this world ­– today was different. Since the (hashatag again) MudraKaNa! Syndrome hit me, I tried my hardest to keep up with the mommy duties and academics and thank goodness for coffee, I’m still alive. Since I was able to (almost) finish everything that needed to be over Friday and Saturday night, I had the time to cook. *Slow clap* Of course, with assistance and presenting to you, my baby daddy. *Slow clap again*

Ta-tara-ta-tadan!
I could have asked the Gods to shower me with the gift being a chef or just anything close to that but I couldn’t. So like everyone else, I online outshine others in eating and today my taste buds kept bugging me for a soupy, tongue-pinching hotness kind of menu and an Igbarasnon best has all the anwers: Pinalabtog na Manok.


Oh, no. Not yet the food, baby. Just the ingredients.
Pinalabtog comes from the word pinalabtugan, a verb in kinaray-a meaning ginsabawan or to make soup with. It’s very simple to make (that’s coming from a newbie cook-wanna-be). With the ingredients garlic, onions, ginger, tomato, pepper, chicken (the native chicken grown in farms is the best one), spring onions and tanglad, it’s all abra cadabra, tadan! Dinner is served.


It’s a soup menu that can be your appetizer or main dish. Pampatanggal hangover or the hangover culprit for it’s a very nice pulutan. Today, it was our viand. (Ehem, prepared by yours truly)And as for our version, we added carrots for nutrition input. Naks! Since Sunday is family day and everyone was off work, we bonded over a meal I made and that’s a first! (Not to discredit my coach, of course and a first not including all the simple frying, hahaha).

Pinalabtog na Manok is also served in Garin Farm San Joaquin as their healthy, savory, farm-fresh food and was featured in Summer Na! segment of Ratsada in 2013 with Igbaras (my town) on its list for top tourist destinations. Because of people’s hospitality, the residents of the far flung barangays were the caves and waterfalls are located usually makes the soup especially for you as a warm welcome. I assure you, nothing beats the way we cook it and it’s usually for free!
Garin Farm Version/ Photo from pinterest.com

What more would you ask for? Nature trek and food trip along with it, gaaaah, you must be lucky. Like how lucky my family is tonight – had dinner without having to prepare it and wash a single plate – thanks to my dear self.



It tasted better than I expected. Even my unica hija wanted to try already, loooook!

Yummmmmyyyyyy! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment