Why the Drums? Why Indeed

I love playing the drums, let’s get that out of the way.

It’s the only instrument that I’m confident (naks) that I can play it well; this being the ONLY instrument that I can play.

The road to sitting behind the kit and banging (ooops) the days away started when I was young. My cousins were into rock music- from Korn, Linkin Park, Metallica, to Slapshock, Queso, and other bands that escape my memory. Each of them also has a designated instrument they’re trying to learn. I don’t know what came to my mind that day when I was just a scrawny kid, but I decided for myself to learn how to play the drums.

Poor Kid
So after a year joining my elementary drum and lyre corps, and also joining my high school’s DLC, I developed a keen sense of hearing the beat and imagining it how to play on the drums.

So why the drums?

I guess it’s the adrenaline rush. The desire to perfect every part of the drumline; where perfection for me means a cohesive and spotless way of playing songs together with bandmates. For me great drummers are not the flashy ones, nor those who have the fastest hands and feet, but those who play it simple, powerful and with passion (all hail Chad Smith)!

HAIL!
Photo prom facebook.com
Of course I get carried away. There are just moments when you’re in the zone and you just headbang, scream and lash out while playing because you just know you’re doing it perfectly. But that’s just me; I let my emotions out when I’m behind the kit.

I’m just being sentimental because I’m (hopefully) graduating this year, and when I join the drones of the labor force, I may not be able to play anymore.

But that won’t let me stop rocking my heart out and twiddling those drumsticks.

Because being behind the kit is my escape in this bat-shit crazy world.
Photo from facebook.com




0 comments:

Post a Comment