Procrastinate efficiently, try Duolingo!

I have two questions for you.

First:
Have you ever wanted to be a polyglot? I do. A polyglot is a person who is multilingual with four or more languages. Seems cool right? I think so too. In this 21st century global community, it is not a farfetched idea to be colleagues with a person from a different country or be friends with them.
You can argue that why should you painstakingly learn their language when both of you can just speak in English. Point taken, but let me tell you these perks. By learning another language, you are also immersing yourself into a whole new culture. You are letting yourself have a whole new perspective in life. Language training keeps the brain fit. It’s cool to impress your friends. You may even get more new friends. Learning is fun! And it helps a lot to know Portuguese when you are stuck in Brazil. I could go on and on, okay.

If yes! Lucky you. Go and read on pal! If no! Well, read on anyway. Who knows, someone here might just have a change of heart.

Second:
Are you a certified procrastinator? Or do you have time to spare?
If yes! Then this is the perfect article for you! Read on! If no! Well, I challenge you! Something awesome will enrich your life.

Tan-tan-tun badum tsss… Tada! Meet Duolingo! Doulingo is a free language tutorial platform that is high engaging and highly addictive!

(Disclaimer: I was not paid to advertise this app. For me, it is just a very nice app to recommend.)

I have discovered this platform a few days ago. Guess, who is now on level 6 in Spanish? Me! I have long tried a lot of other ways to learn languages by myself. I had books, audio tapes, and even dictionaries but it was strenuous and difficult. I have also tried Rosetta Stone software, My Japanese Coach/ My Spanish Coach game for Nintendo DS and even Livemocha.com. All of which are also some amazing stuff for language learning. You can say that I have my fair share of language learning resources to compare Duolingo with. But boy this platform is everything it promised and did I mention that it is for FREE??? You heard me right, FREE. No ads and no solicitations, you just need an internet connection to access the lessons. Right now where wifi is basically anywhere, it won’t be so difficult.

All I really want to say is. If you really want to waste your time, procrastinate efficiently. That way, in some sense, it’s not really wasting time but more a recreational use of time. This interest and platform works for me. I learned some Spanish and I had fun. If you are not a language freak or a procrastinator, give Duolingo a try anyway, it at least deserve that. There are plenty of other resource materials, some which I have mentioned above are really good ones too. Don’t just get my word for it. Go try! Experiment! Discover what works best for you!


There is both a desktop version and an app version. How cool is that?! They sync too!


In my experience, I have wasted more time than I care to admit. Time is a very valuable thing. It would be a shame not to use it properly. As I am growing older, it is more and more difficult to manage it. Plus, my brain is not so young to grasp new concepts easily. It is a struggle, but maybe there are really things you will not appreciate until it it’s gone. Don’t let life just happen to you and float away. Make life happen! Ultimately, decide for yourself if you either use or waste the little time you are blessed with.

0 comments:

Post a Comment